Escarpment Laboratories is a liquid yeast supplier for Canadian breweries, based in Guelph, Ontario. The full-time Laboratory Technician will perform required laboratory duties as required in a brewery-like manufacturing environment with a well-equipped laboratory. Experience working in laboratories is desired for the detail-oriented and adaptable Laboratory Technician we seek for our laboratory team. Candidates must share Escarpment Laboratories’ passion for helping breweries to make award-winning beer, and delivering a high-quality experience and new knowledge for Canadian breweries with a culture of continuous improvement.
• Perform quality control testing contributing to our extensive quality control efforts, both internally and for brewery clients. This includes cell counting, agar plating as well as PCR analysis.
• Manages lab-scale yeast propagation in preparation for larger production batches.
• Maintains yeast strain working library for public Escarpment Labs strains and privately banked strains.
• Use of laboratory equipment following strict SOPs and any required calibration, maintenance and testing to ensure repeatability and reliability.
• Preparation of all required materials in the quality control laboratory including sterilization of flasks, preparation of liquid and solid growth media, and cleaning/preparation of devices needed by production staff.
• Accurate and detailed analysis of in-process and finished products. Escalation of out-of-spec results and recommendation of corrective action.
• Assist with R&D projects and experimentation.
• Assist with propagation of speciality products such as Brettanomyces, custom yeasts, and Bacteria.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s degree or college diploma in brewing, biology, chemistry, food science, or an equivalent amount of laboratory experience is required.
- Previous experience with microbiological practices such as aseptic technique, cell counting, media preparation, and plating is ideal.
- Previous experience in any of the following areas are compelling but not necessary:
- Food and beverage research & development
- Sensory science
- PCR/molecular analysis
- Synthetic biology
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Ability to learn and demonstrate the duties outlined above, with a strong attention to detail.
• Analytical skills and effective communication and organization coupled with the ability to prioritize tasks.
• Comfortable in a busy environment, able to adapt to the needs of coworkers and customers, and make thoughtful and timely decisions.
• Prior knowledge of the basic principles of beer fermentation and ingredient utilization is an asset.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception, the ability to adjust focus and be able to differentiate color.
• Must be able to lift 20kg safely.
• Must be able to work in an occasionally hot, wet, or noisy environment.
• Able to comply with safe chemical handling procedures, including personal protection equipment such as gloves, safety glasses, and face shields.
• Able to operate equipment which require specific safety and maintenance protocols such as autoclaves and centrifuges.
Additional items to consider
• This is a full-time position which may require scheduling flexibility such as weekends or early mornings.
• A wide range of equipment and ingredients are available to staff for homebrewing or R&D purposes.
• Opportunities to conduct and publish scientific research in an industrial environment.
• Compensation is commensurate with experience.
• Expected salary range $40,000-$46,000 per year.
• Health Care Spending Account is available following six months of employment.
To apply, please send us an email at with the subject line “LAB TECH APPLICATION”. Include your cover letter in the body of the email and your resume as an attachment. A cover letter should not be a restatement of your qualifications. Engage us in a dialogue - tell a story, ask questions.
**Applications will be accepted until Friday, June 5th at midnight**
If you have big ideas for the future of fermentation, you can feel free to contact us any time.